Sunday, February 19, 2012

Coaching


High school
     In my lifetime I  have had the privileged to coach educators and students. I am who I am today because of my coaches; beginning in middle school, definitely my high school and college coaches.  

     I learned in middle school that effort is rewarded, in high school I learned the importance of being a team player and the importance of roles and in College I learned that I have a voice, I have qualities of a leader and the importance of knowing when to lead and when to follow. 

      I have coached high school volleyball, basketball and track and field and middle school volleyball and track and field. I  have attended promotions, graduations and weddings of my athletes, I have taken phone calls that should have been directed to mothers, I have shared my stories, I have mentored and I have given my all to my athletes. This year I was unable to complete my volleyball season and had to tell my track team that I could not coach this year due to my health. 
College
     I have realized that I am a hands on coach, I enjoy modeling my expectations, putting on my athletic gear and truly showing my athletes what I want to see. When I am coaching adults I have to constantly give them  pep talks and point out what they are doing correct and then collaboratively we reflect and identify what they need to correct. When I am coaching students I am constantly pointing out the flaws , the mistakes, and then struggle with how to praise. When I return to coaching sports I am going to change my approach, I will  praise more and  find a way to make my athletes more reflective.

3 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration! Such love for your athletes and the game. I really enjoy sports, from the 2nd grade through my first year of college I played softball religiously. My primary reason for playing was the love of the game, and not necessarily whether we won or lost. The bonds I formed with my fellow players were ones I never truly garnered with classmates at school. I also played basketball and volleyball, but softball was my passion. My ambition for the future is to become a coach; however, at the moment these courses and my daughter come first. I know you have to miss not coaching this year, but I am sure next year you will right back out there sharing your faith and desire with your players. Thank you for all your inspirational blog postings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to the conclusion that you are such a special person. I have enjoyed following your blog. I am not athletic but both my children have been on sports teams since 4th grade. I was able to bond with the parents that lasted through my children's school years. The children that started with my children in the recreation and school sports usually lasted until they completed high school. Continue to share yourself. You have so much to give to other folks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your students are fortunate to have you as a role model. I have never played sports for competition. I enjoyed playing tennis and racketball. Now, I go to the gym and work out to stay fit.

    ReplyDelete